Had a customer who had a workstation that was killing the DSL Internet connection.
We had run the Malware Bytes / Virpe rescue - it found nothing.
The workstation was running MS Security Essentials, Security Essentials was no longer able to get updates. Also trying to view the Windows Update website you got a page unavailable. I checked the windows hosts file, nothing there. I tried to ping windowsupdate.microsoft.com and saw what I expected.
Windows XP SP 2, running Security Essentials
No longer able to run Windows update website.
0x80072EFE - ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_ABORTED - The connection with the server has been terminated.
Tried the fixit at-
Here are the issues that Security Essentials had found.
Alert Level Severe for all
Bubnix.gen!A - Removed
Brolocker.A – Quarantined
Gleishug.C – Removed
I suggested the customer reinstall Windows and all apps . Windows Restore Points were not enabled ( unless the virus removed them. )
Just told him the other possible path was to open a case with MS. I think they do some free cases for security issues.
Report a potential malware problem to Microsoft
Submit a Support Case